highpoint rocketraid and high cpu use

I have a Highpoint RockerRaid2310 in my server at the house. For some time I have had an issue with the “HighPoint RAID Management Service”, which runs an .exe called “hptsvr.exe”, which then runs “drvinst32.exe”, taking up a lot of cpu time. In my case the server was a quad core and it took 25% of the total CPU. Everything would work just fine, but this bothered me for a lot of reasons, so I would leave the service set to manual unless I needed to run the card’s management software. In that case I would start the service, do the management, then kill the offending .exe. Life went on.

Recently I decided I wanted to use more of the features of this card, so I went looking for a fix. There were several random internet posts about the problem but no one had a fix for it. Contacting HighPoint support seemed like the obvious thing to do, so that’s what I did, and they proved helpful.

In my case I was running the older management software, which was version 3.14.5. This was the latest version of it. I was also already running the latest version of the firmware (2.5) and windows driver (2.3). At the advice of HighPoint’s support, I switched to the web management software which is version 1.5.3. I did have an issue with the new software installing itself in the same directory as the old software, which broke my ability to uninstall the old stuff, so my recommendation if you do this is to uninstall the old version first. This has left an uninstall for the old version in add/remove and for now I’m just going to leave it, but that’s not hard to clean up.

So now life is good, I can schedule verify tasks, get emailed if a disk fails, all that good stuff. Basically, things are working as they should.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *